Friday, October 22, 2010

{FFwD} and {TWD} Hachis Parmeter and the Mother of all Catch up posts

I feel like I am spinning my wheels sometimes and can't get my act together. I was sick last week but just haven't had the motivation to get on the computer and post. I blame Angry Birds and my Droid....

Since it is Friday  I am posting about Hachis Parmeter, which is basically French Shepherd's Pie. I am also catching up with Double Apple Bundt Cake, Fold over Pear Torte and Caramel Pumpkin Pie.

I have to say, being part of French Friday with Dories is making me a better cook. I am using fresh ingredients and trying things I have not before. This recipe was really tasty. Hubs and Munchkin loved it. Little Man, not so much...but he has a hard time with potatoes so it was not a favorite.I loved it. The sausage in it gave it a little punch and I just loved the potatoes on top. I made the traditional version where you take out the vegetables and serve it with just meat and potatoes. Dorie says you can make this with leftovers and I believe it. It would come together much quicker as well. Even though this took awhile to make (you make the broth, then the filling, the the topping) it was worth it. If you want to try it you should pick up the book "Around My French Table" by Dorie Greenspan and join around 800 cooks from around the world while we cook through the book together. :)

With Tuesdays with Dorie you would think that we could be close to running out of yummy recipes but we haven't yet. 3 weeks ago was Double Apple Bundt Cake chosen by Lynne of Honey Muffin. This cake was adored at my house. Munchkin would not try it citing the "I don't like cooked fruit" sentence. I loved this cake! As did my son and my husband. Definitely a keeper! I made a little glaze to go on top but put it on when it was still hot and it soaked into the cake. It was still tasty though. If you like Big Bundts you will want to check out Mary The Food Librarian's selections of bundts for National Bundt Day

2 weeks ago was Foldover Pear Torte brought to you by Cakelaw of Laws of the Kitchen (An Aussie lawyer who loves to cook). Another delicious recipe. I thought the cooked fruit in this one would actually be an issue for my fam and took it with me to Bunco. Everyone said they liked it but I thought it was really rich. I left out walnuts and apricots (couldn't find any) and subbed caramel and butterscotch. It didn't quite cook all the way through so the center was a little doughy but still good. And I <3 caramel. :)

This weeks recipe, Caramel Pumpkin Pie, was chosen by Janell of Mortenson Family Memoirs. She has some great step by step photos on her site that include a turkey! :) Check out her site for the recipe. I really thought this recipe was going to be a winner. And I really liked it and I do not like pumpkin pie. But as I mentioned before I love caramel. We may have had an issue with this one because we ate garlic bread before eating the pie and it may have thrown off the taste. Hubs love pumpkin pie but was not a fan. He said there was a bitter taste to it which could have been the dark caramel in it, the rum (since I don't usually cook with it) or maybe I put in too much allspice. Or it could have been the garlic. Oh well, I liked it anyway. Little Man loved it and wanted more for breakfast. Does that make me a bad mom or mom of the year for giving it to him?

Alright, here is to getting back on the bandwagon and posting on a regular basis! :)

13 comments:

lifeisfull said...

Lovely photos. Wish I can have a bite of your desserts!

The Mortensens said...

Wow, it looks like you've been busy! I'm glad you liked the pumpkin pie. Too bad your husband didn't.

Thanks for taking the time to bake along with me this week!

Cristine said...

Everything looks great!

Jennifurla said...

I love this shepards pie, the topping looks fab.

yummychunklet said...

Wonderful "mega post"! I like seeing all the results at once.

spike. said...

What a great post full of baking & cooking! I didn't make this week's ffwd but yours looks great!

Katrina said...

You HP photo looks great.
And I LOVE big bundts. Natl. Bundt Cake Day is my birthday! Fun, fun!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Karen, your hachis parmentier looks great! I love the fact that this group is making me spread my wings with recipes too. Also, thanks for trying the foldover pear torte (my TWD pick)! The caramel and buttercsoth substitutions sound fabulous.

The Food Librarian said...

What a great round up of all your baking and cooking! Everything looks yummmmmy! - mary

Nicole said...

Great wrap up. Love your pie plate too.

Pamela said...

I like seeing posts like this one; so chock full of delicious looking things. Fabulous!

Flourchild said...

WOW you have been catching up! It all looks so yummy and makes me hungry... Im glad your enjoying all the TWD and FF recipes. I love this new French cooking!!!

Clivia said...

Pie for breakfast makes you the best kind of mom! Love your round-up of recent goodies.