Sunday, August 01, 2010

Brickyard 400

Last weekend we took an extremely fast  trip to my annual family reunion. We left Friday morning and got to our destination in the evening. My hubby and kiddos went swimming while I made an ice cream sandwich dessert (layer ice cream sandwiches in a 9 x 13 pan, pour on a jar of hot fudge, sprinkle in a bunch of chopped up peanut butter cups (or any candy), another layer of ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge, peanut butter cups, cool whip, peanut butter cups and chill, you will be loved).

On "our way back" we decided to stop in at the Brickyard 400. Actually, general admission tickets were only $40 and kids got in free with a paying adult. Grandstand tickets were around $85 apiece. We simply packed our camping chairs and a collapsible cooler with us to take to the race. After a failed attempt to get on the road as early as we wanted (thanks weirdo guy at Tim Horton's) we made it to the race with about 20 minutes to get settled in before the race started. We got seats on the inside of turn 2. It may have not had the best view of the track but it was a great spot for us. 

Kevin Harvick in turn 2
We were in the family fun area so there were activities for the kids, there was no alcohol, and few people smoking. That alone made it an enjoyable experience for us. Little Man spent the entire race hanging out with daddy watching for the M&M's car. Munchkin wanted to spend most of the time in the family fun area. She painted a tiny race car, jumped in the bounce house, got her face painted and played in a pool of goo (cornstarch and water). She had been complaining that she was hot. I had to spray her off after she got out of the goo so then she was able to complain that she was cold. :)
Kyle Busch in the M&M's car backwards in turn 2.

In lap one the M&M's car ended up backwards just to the left of us. Somehow I got a photo of it. Little Man was a little worried about the car but cheered when Kyle Busch came racing around the corner to catch up with the pack. He ended up finishing 7th I think.

Once the race was over we had to head to our car. When we were buying our tickets we were trying to decide if we should try to park for free or if we should get tickets in a lot. We decided we wanted to have a parking pass for sure and we were so glad we did. It took us all of 10 minutes to get back to our car in the mass exodus from the track. It then took us about 10 minutes to get to the freeway and we were headed for home. So, out lesson was always buy parking ahead of time so you don't pay $20 to park on someones lawn a 30 minute walk from your seat.

It was pretty fun to go to the race and I think if we can go to another one we definitely will. :)

1 comment:

  1. I am from Indy but this year is the first year I actually went to the brickyard. It was a lot more fun than anticipated! Glad you had a good time!