Tuesday, August 03, 2010

August 3, 2010 - {TWD} Gingered Carrot Cookies


I am not a big fan of carrot cake. There is usually some kind of nut in it that is a big ick factor in my book. However, I wanted to make these according to the recipe as I was handing some of them off to a pregnant friend. I have to admit these were pretty good. My husband made the comment that it takes a lot of confidence to make something I have never made before and give it to someone. Of course, I have been doing that since before we were married. We're having company? That is a perfect time to make chocolate mole sauce from scratch. (In relaying that story to one of my students he replied "You MADE mole from scratch? My Mexican mama buys it at the store and you little white girl made it from scratch?" Admittedly, I didn't know you could buy it in the store.)

Back to the Gingered Carrot Cookies. If you like carrot cake, you will love these cookies. If you don't like carrot cake you might still like these..even with the pecans in them. If you don't have Dorie's book Baking From My Home to Yours you can check out Natalia of  gatti fili e farina (mom, you should check out her blog, she is in Italy) for this surprisingly tasty recipe. Also, make sure to check out the leave your link post to see how the other bakers from around the world did with these this week.


17 comments:

Sweet and Savory said...

I agree that these were good. Yours look cute and ready to be eaten.

Peggy said...

Karen these cookies were so good! We loved them. And easy to make weren't they? love that part especially. I think your presentation is beautiful. Great job on the cookies!

Flourchild said...

Your cookies look so good! I loved them!

Valerie said...

Spectacular looking cookies! Love the little mole sauce story. :D

Tia said...

very cute! i think we have the same white square serving dish :)

Jennifer said...

Your cookies look delicious!!!!!

TeaLady said...

CUTE presentation!!

natalia said...

Ciao Karen ! Thank you for joining me this week ! I'm glad you liked them and hope your friend did too ! I usually do like you do !!! Hope to see you in Rome sometimes !

Paula said...

Your husband's comment made me laugh. Having company is a wonderful excuse to try something new. Good looking cookies!

Mary said...

These were good, but the dough was even better! I used cashews in mine.

Katrina said...

Nice photos. (I think I say that to you every time.) These were better than I thought they'd be.

Funny about the mole.

Judy said...

Gosh, isn't that one of the reasons we have company and friends? To test recipes on them? ;) Your cookies look lovely.

Nicole said...

I wish I knew how to make mole, it's so good. Your cookies look great!

Becky said...

yum. yours turned out great. i loved these!

Piggy said...

I'm also guilty of giving baked goods from my first attempts to friends. LOL! Glad that you still like the cookies even though you're not a fan of carrot cake. :-)

Nickki said...

I loved these cookies! Yours look delicious :-)

♥ recipe addict said...

Thanks for mentioning the book. I saw another blog that had the brownies with mint in them and I really wanted to try the recipe. Sadly, no measurements for the recipe were given, so I now have requested the book from the library and hopefully that recipe is in it. These look good too. I've been looking for some easy carrot bread/cake/muffin recipes.