Monday, July 05, 2010

July 5, 2010 - Drum Roll, Please

I WON!!! I WON!!! I WON I WON I WON!!!!!
 This morning was the grand opening of our church building and I was volunteering so we had to leave the house by 8:50 to get to church by 9:15. The series is At the Movies and was really great. The movie that was used was Walk the Line and one of the main points I took away was are you living in hurt or are you living in the hope given to you through Christ. That just struck a chord and stayed with me all day. After leaving church we made a quick stop at Which wich for sandwiches and headed for home. Before church I filled and decorated the pie and put it in the fridge in anticipation of baking after church.

When we got home I made the egg wash and baked the pie. In my last post I was a little nervous about how the pie turned out. It didn't seem to do what it was supposed to. Well, I dropped the pie off and the lady that looked at it said she loved blueberry pie and thought it was cute. I took a few pictures when the pies were all uncovered but didn't stick around to see the judging. I didn't know if I was supposed to be there or not. I did hear one guy say my pie looked great.

My sweet kiddos were chomping at the bit to go in the inflatables so we headed onto the ball field. Little Man climbed up one of those inflatable rock wall things. He has never done that and I was so proud! (Totally unrelated sidenote: He keeps telling me Cowboy Woody has ACC but he doesn't understand what it is yet.) They finished every inflatable out there and Munchkin took it upon herself to throw Little Mans shoes over the goal posts. Instead of letting her do that we thought we should head back over and see how the pie judging was going. I started to walk toward the table when the guy I overheard talking about my pie approached me. Apparently he owns the Feed Mill store and restaurant. He is restoring it and is planning on putting in a commercial grade kitchen so that local people can come bake and sell their pies. He was impressed with my Double Crusted Blueberry Pie and thought I would be interested. I gave him my number (I didn't feel weird about this because there were quite a few people around that seemed to know him and what he was doing) so he can call me when the kitchen is in. Cra-zy!

I gave Jeromy a piece of pie and the keyboard player from TheCO asked where he could get a piece. I told him I made it and he asked how much it was! I gave it to him for free. I didn't bring much home and my husband the cooked fruit hater even said it was better than he thought it would be. So Yeah! I win there too! ;)

After awhile it was time for the prizes to be awarded. I didn't even know if there was going to be prizes or not. They announced 3rd Place to the person with the White Chocolate Pistachio Pie. That person got a $30 gift card to the Feed Mill. 2nd Place went to the person with the Red, White, and Blueberry Pie. $40 to O'Charleys. At this point I had kind of resigned myself to not winning as they had just announced a blueberry pie and then they said "And First Place, for a Doubl............" and I knew I won!  They even pronounced our last name right! My stomach did flipflops, I sent out an update on facebook and my hands shook for half an hour I was so excited! A huge cheer went up from our little group on the side of the lawn. There were even a few people we didn't know that cheered. Munchkin came running over with a super excited look on her face and fell into my arms. When I went to pick up my prize ($50 to Stony River) the coordinator told me I got perfect marks on everything! 

So, part of this is a thank you to my TWD baking group as I would not have attempted a double crusted blueberry pie before and a thank you to Dorie Greenspan for an amazing recipe (I did add extra sugar and used sea salt. :) )

I don't think I have ever won a prize for something I made before. I did win a blue ribbon in a dog show when I was around 3. It was supposed to be for the dog but my mom says it's because I was so cute walking the dog around the ring. I wonder if I should take that as a compliment.....

Salient played at the festival last night and did amazing. You really should check them out, and I am not just saying that since I am married to the hott guitar player! ;) 

We loved the fireworks at the show as well. They were close and beautiful and the kids loved them too.
This whole blog post is because I am so excited to win something! Now...on to purchasing a new food processor...and I promise I will not try to knead bread dough in it!





5 comments:

Debbie said...

Isn't it fun to just bask in the glow of something good and unexpected?

Leslie said...

Congratulations! What a fun way to end the weekend!

Susan said...

Congratulations! That is just wonderful!!

TeaLady said...

congrats on your pie win. Isn't it fun. Very patriotic, too.

Katrina said...

Awesome, congrats on the win! I just bought 25 pints of blueberries and made a yummy blueberry crisp. I want pie. But pie is dangerous for me. I love to eat the crust too much. Really great that you won!