Tuesday, June 01, 2010

{TWD} White Chocolate Brownies

It is Tuesday and another week with Tuesdays with Dorie. When I say there are bakers from all over the world I am not kidding! Today's recipe was chosen by Marthe from the Netherlands. If you would like the recipe make sure to visit Marthe at Culinary Delights or even better, visit her blog and pick up a copy of Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. You will not be sorry...well, your taste buds won't be but your waistline might.. :)

I know CB at I <3 Food for Thought was thrilled because she has been trying to get someone to choose this recipe for months! :) With good reason of course..it was delicious!

For some reason I got it in my head that I wanted to make Macrons for end of the year teacher gifts. They are elegant, light and crispy. I had lots of egg whites sitting in my freezer begging to be turned into Macrons (no I am not leaving out the extra o..they are french!) I spent 46 minutes beating the dang egg whites before they would peak. I sent out a message on Facebook asking if people thought it was my lack of a whisk attachment for my little hand mixer or if it was the humidity here in the south. The responses I got make me think it was both, but I also think now that my bowl was too big.

This weeks recipe required only 3 egg whites so I chose a much smaller bowl to whip them in. The meringue came together in 3 minutes flat. I could not believe it! My butter and white chocolate separated but I poured it in anyway which make some white chocolate chunks in the finished product.

After reading the P's and Q's I knew I needed to bake them extra time. Almost everyone said they were underbaked in the middle. I gave mine an extra 10 minutes and then an extra 5 to be sure they were done. The very edges were a bit chewy but they we done all the way through. They were very moist but not undercooked.

One of my very best friends is moving away and her neighbors had a going away ice cream party for her family yesterday. They asked if I could bring brownies so I made these and a batch of my sisters mother in laws chocolate brownies (delish by the way). There were many choices so not too many of these got eaten but every plate had plenty left. I did have to warn a couple of people about the almonds as I did not want to be the one cause anaphalactic shock.

My husband does not like cooked fruit but thought these tasted pretty good. My son like them until he got to a raspberry and my daughter liked them fine. I could eat every bite of the lovely crumbly meringue on top!
They were lots of work but worth it! :)

14 comments:

  1. This was a fun treat! I omitted the meringue and added a orange buttercream glaze. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize I don't like cooked fruit (at least cooked raspberries) until I made these.
    How good to read, I am not completely crazy and other people share my disklike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your look great and i love those star plates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The meringue on top was amazing, glad you liked them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the yummy, crumbly meringue too.

    I love your dishes--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad it worked so well for you. Looks great on those star trays.
    I wish I would have left the meringue off. Mine were one of the underbaked ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum...an ice cream party sounds like my kinda fun! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed you would try to beat your egg whites by hand. Wow! Maybe I'm just lazy. Anyway, yours look very tasty and cute too in those star plates.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great that your brownies were a success! They look really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little star plates. So cute, and your bars look great on them. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great! I love how your meringue turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to see yours set up well. I got the goo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the crackly meringue looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete