Tuesday, May 04, 2010

{TWD} Burnt Sugar Ice Cream

Also known as homemade Haggen Daaz Dulche De Leche. Hello, Delicious!!!

It has been quite crazy around here the last few days. We are fortunate in these crazy floods. We have water in our crawl space and our basement is kind of wet but we are safe. We have neighbors across the divided highway though that are not so fortunate. The neighborhood across from us in completely under water and we know people that have lost everything including one of my students. Even with all the loss it seems that people are calm and taking it all in stride. I read this post this morning and it brought me to tears. I think it sums up so much about what Nashville and Tennessee are about.

Yesterday while I was making the custard for the ice cream, Bobby was in the backyard checking on the crawl space. All of a sudden I heard a horrendous whoop from the back and knew that he had injured himself. I turned off the stove and ran out the back door. He came running and was yelling that he stepped on a nail and it was bleeding bad! I made him lay down on the floor in the kitchen, ripped off his shoe and sock and grabbed some paper towels to stop the bleeding, got a small bowl of water and cleaned the wound the best I could. While I made him lay on the floor in the kitchen I finished cooking the custard (just a couple more minutes) and took the mac and cheese out of the oven I was cooking for a new mom.

We decided we would try to get to an urgent care center about 20 minutes from us. That is where I went when I stepped on a nail with each foot a couple of years ago. It took us 45 minutes to get 5 miles from our house because the main road we needed to take was completely under water. I saw a fish jump on the driving range.... There is a horse farm on that road along with several brand new restaurants that are completely devastated. We discovered another urgent care center near the interstate though that was miraculously not busy. We were there less time than it took us to get there. Our trip home took us on another route that was much faster. Bobby is OK but his foot is really not looking good. We think the nail he stepped on may have gone almost all the way through his foot, may have hit a tendon and it is still bleeding a bit. His big toe is swollen and there is bruising on the top of his foot now.

All of that to say, our time out of the house gave the custard time to chill in the fridge before the churning stage. Thank you to Becky from Project Domestication for choosing this weeks recipe! I love love love caramel ice cream. Haggen Daaz Dulche De Leche tops that list. This ice cream is easy and a must make form anyone who want to try making ice cream. It is creamy, smooth and quite tasty. I was glad I read the P&Q's about the process though because I may have been very upset when the caramel seized after pouring in the milk and cream. I knew though that it was smooth out as I kept heating and stirring.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, good luck with your husband's foot healing and dealing with the flooding. glad you had time to make the ice cream, even with all the hectic things life can throw at you! I haven't had the Haagen Dazs Dulce de Leche flavor before, good to know that this tastes like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh... my FAVE is H.D. ddl ice cream too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your husband is on the mend, but the fact that you made him lie on the floor while you finished the ice cream and mac and cheese made me giggle! Your ice cream looks great despite the drama, and I hope the floodwaters are receding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, not good to step on a nail and so sorry to hear about the flooding so close to home for you!
    I love that your finished the custard while he was on the floor though. ;)
    A good ice cream for sure.
    Take care. Will say some prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I'm keeping you all in my prayers. And I certainly hope your husbands foot is feeling better. I've been watching the news about all that's going on down there. Be safe! And eat some ice cream, I guess! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I really hope your husbands food is much better soon. The floods are devastating. I'll keep you in my prayers.

    This ice cream reminded me a Haagen Daz Dulce de Leche as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, dear, what a day!! Good thing you had ice cream to make everyone feel better.

    Looks tasty.

    The water WILL go away. hang in.

    ReplyDelete