Friday, February 12, 2010

The Facts of Life

Conversation in our bathroom this morning. Munchkin was standing on the stool looking in the mirror while I brushed her hair. Little Man was sitting on the step to the bathtub holding two blond Polly Pocket girls.

Little Man: They are going to get married!

Munchkin: They can't get married! They are both girls!

Little Man: They CAN get married!

Munchkin: Well, they can't have babies!

Me: Why?

Munchkin: Well, the egg is in the girl and the other thing is in the boy....

Me: Where did you hear that?

Munchkin: In the Flip Flap Body Book...what is that called again in the boy?

Me: Sperm.

Munchkin: Oh yeah..Sperm. That is why 2 girls can't have a baby.

Me: Ok.

Munchkin: I have to get my shoes on.

As she runs out of the room Bobby told me I handled that very well. She adores the Flip Flap Body Book from Usborne and it has all kinds of cool facts. I guess it is kind of neat that it is not a big weird thing that she understands the technical side of how a baby is made...but not the actual nitty gritty. That will be a conversation for another day...far down the road. It is just, in her mind, another function like digestion and how food goes from your mouth and down your esophagus. One of the joys of having an early reader I suppose. :)
*I am not looking for this post to open a whole can of worms. It is just where we are right now in our conversation with our kids who are 5 and 7.

3 comments:

Amy Lafayett said...

I always love reading your blog. I have you on my google reader. . . so even though I never see you anymore, I know what you are doing! :)

Funny conversation, but I really love your disclaimer!! Don't you have having to put disclaimers on YOUR blog?? I guess I am glad Addison isn't a great reader just yet. Oh, the joys of the conversations we are yet to have! Miss you!

Amy Lafayett said...

I meant to say, "Don't you hate having to put disclaimers on your blog?" Better spell check next time!

Karen said...

It is hard to comment with the reader isn't it? I have tons on mine also and feel like I am keeping up with people even though I never see anyone. We need to remedy that soon!

You are right "oh the conversations that are in store...!" :)