Tuesday, January 05, 2010

{TWD} 2nd Anniversary and delicious desserts

Today marks the 2nd anniversary of Tuesdays with Dorie. I am so proud to be part of this baking community. Dorie Greenspan is an excellent baker as well as an excellent mentor. She is quick to reply to email and was even my secret elf in our card exchange this year. I do have a blog post about that coming up soon too. This week, being the second anniversary, had two recipes to choose from. We could choose Tarte Tatin, which I had never heard of or Cocoa-Buttermilk Birthday Cake. I chose to do both because Hubby's birthday was a couple of days ago and he loves chocolate cake. After reading the recipe for the Tarte, I figured how could I go wrong with butter, sugar and apples?
Thank you to Laurie, our gracious host for choosing this weeks recipes. You can click here to read her blog post from 2 years ago that got our baking club started.

Now for a few pictures and a few words and for good measure a little Low and Lush Chocolate Cheesecake from last week.

Tarte Tatin
I made this last night and ate it late and I am so glad I did not wake up in the middle of the night with crazy heartburn! An entire stick of butter, plus sugar made a delicious caramel sauce for the apples. I have to admit I cheated and used a Pillsbury Pie Crust and it turned out amazingly! If I had puff pastry I would have used that though. My husband does not like cooked fruit so even though he liked the taste he did not like the texture. I loved it...too much.

Like I said earlier, it was also my hubsters birthday this week. We had a little birthday party for him at Pie in the Sky Pizza downtown. This is an impressive cake, I must say. He really liked it a lot. Sorry honey for ruining your food plan....
The pizza place had lots of bright light, which would have been great if I didn't take a picture of my shadow on the cake! :) The stars on top are for him being a rock star!

Last I will leave you with my Low and Lush Chocolate Cheesecake. I made this for New Years Eve. After reading other comments I decided to add double the chocolate, so no pale cheesecake here. Then it managed to get a huge crack in it so I made some bittersweet chocolate ganache to pour on top. It was so shiny you can see one of my pans in the reflections. To top it off I made a little raspberry coulis with the frozen berries in my freezer. YUM! I heart raspberries and chocolate together. It was delicious.

So now I am buckling down and walking on my treadmill so I can actually button my pants. I hope you baking went as well as mine did this week! :)


I love this club and can't wait for the upcoming recipes!

13 comments:

Kim said...

All those desserts look wonderful. I made the tarte tatin and loved it. The birthday cake is super cute.

slush said...

I love your photos! The Tarte looks perfect and who wouldnt want THAT as their birthday cake. Love the stars on top.

Thanks so much for sticking with me all this time. xo

Jules Someone said...

What's with all you overachievers? I only made one. ;-)

Leslie said...

Your desserts rock! I think this is one of the best looking tarte tatins I've seen! And how I envy you your chocolaty cheesecake. This is a fun group, and blogging friends like you are a big reason why its so great!

pinkstripes said...

Your tarte looks gorgeous! And happy birthday to your husband!

Katrina said...

First, love your reflective chocolate cheesecake!
Tart--de-lish. Puff Pastry--dangerous for me. Nice caramelizing.
And your birthday cake looks great! Such a fun group to be with!

Anne said...

Yum. The cheesecake is calling my name. And the chocolate cake has the best looking frosting job- I just want a slice right now! Awesome job!

Debbie said...

Karen, Love the pictures. How did you get the little titles on the pictures?

Piggy said...

Happy belated birthday to your hubby! both your tarte tatin and chocolate cake look great! :-)

Pamela said...

Wow! That's a lot of desserts for the first week of the new year. Everything looks great. Your tarte tatin looks perfect. I just loved that!! Definitely felt guilty about the butter, though. I'll have to try the cocoa cake soon, too. And your cheesecake looks wonderful.

Susan said...

I bow in your direction! Three desserts and they all look wonderful. I am making the tarte now. Made the cake and it wasn't all I thought it would be.

Karen Hyde said...

All I have to say is... YUM!

TeaLady said...

Three beautiful desserts.

Thanks for baking the cheesecake with me that week.