Tuesday, May 05, 2009

{TWD} Tiramisu Cake

Tiramisu has never been a dessert I thought I would attempt at home. It has always seemed so froufy and intimidating to make. Thanks to Tuesdays with Dorie I get to overcome my fear of this dessert this week. And who could resist taking the time to make it when you have help like this?



video

After checking out the questions section for the week people said not to skip the coffee or the alcohol in this. I don't drink coffee or alcohol really so both are not a staple in our house. I do however have Grand Marnier left over from another recipe. Fining Mascarpone was interesting. I was looking right at it at Kroger when the deli lady had to come over and point it out to me. It said Mozzerella on it in big letters and Mascarpone in little letters. I guess that shows my novice baker status all the more. :)

Target was my store of choice for espresso powder because of course Target is going to carry it. Since I was planning on using the Grand Marnier I decided to go with instant Orange Cappuchino for the coffee "pick me up" that the recipe calls for.
My little guy was all about helping me this morning. He did an excellent job of mixing while I cracked eggs and measured vanilla. He is like my own little KitchenAid Stand Mixer! He did like a beater...one tiny little lick annouced it was good and promptly stuck the beater in the sink. Cute boy.

The cakes came out of the oven looking lovely and ready to be frosted. But alas, I had to go to work. So as of right now, the cakes await at home while I sit at work. Hopefully I will get home early enough to put the rest of the Tiramisu together so the flavors can meld tonight. If it turns out as delicious as I hope it will this may be a go to dessert for get togethers! I do have a couple of photos to add of the finished product when my card reader returns to me soon. After frosting the cake last night I had about a cup of left over deliciousness left over. I threw in a few milk chocolate chips and enjoyed a few bites straight off the spoon. My husband took one bite and made a face...not a happy face. He is not a coffee fan so the orange capuccino didn't appeal to him all that much.

My kiddos ate a few bites this morning and really really like it. I saved a big chunk for them and a big chunk for me and Bobby to share and brought the rest to work. I rock... :)

Thanks to Megan from My Baking Adventures for choosing this fun recipe for this week!


This was a hit with my co-workers! Everyone loved it and even said they may request it in the future! :)

17 comments:

Marthe said...

I'm sure that you'll like this cake, I absolutely loved it!!

Teanna said...

That is one adorable stand mixer! hehe! The cake looks great!

Katrina said...

Great job on the cake. Now is that mixer cheaper than or more than a Kitchen Aid? ;)

pinkstripes said...

I can't wait to hear what you think of the final product. I loved it. Love your stand mixer. :P

chocolatechic said...

It is always great to have a helper.

AmyRuth said...

Those boys do grow up to love their mommies. So sweet!! Your little guy is a good helper. I'm excited about your variations.... they sound yummy. Reminds me of Milanos. hehe
AmyRuth

Flourchild said...

What a sweet little helper! Your cake looks very good.
Im sorry Arbys did it for you...that place makes me gag..something about all the yellow cheese dumped on the luke warm meat...ahh sorry if Im making you sick!!

The Food Librarian said...

Love your kitchen helper! Too adorable. And the cake looks fantastic!

Leslie said...

I love your helper! It must make taking action photos easier. Your cake looks great, and I just know it was delicious.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i'm jealous that you have such a good little sous chef! looks like a great cake, and glad to hear everyone enjoyed it!

Clivia said...

This has turned out to be a very versatile recipe. Everyone's variation was a success. I know yours will be too!

karen said...

that sifter picture is really cool. this cake was really good, i'm glad it was a hit with everyone you shared it with!

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Aww, cute little mixer! Your orange version is so creative, and how cool that your cw's loved it.
Nancy

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

This cake turned out great! Lucky co-workers!!

Tracey said...

Your cake looks amazing and your kitchen helper is super cute :)

TeaLady said...

Cake looks beautiful.

Cute sous chef!!!

Liliana said...

Your cake turned out wonderful!

You and your son did a wonderful job!