Wednesday, April 08, 2009

{TWD} Part Duex....Banana Cream Pie

Did you know that if you peel a banana from the bottom you don't get as many of the strings? I had to peel 3 of them for this pie and my son laughed every time I peeled on from the bottom.

Why am I showing you a photo of an egg being separated? Because this recipe called for 6 egg yolks. I actually froze the whites to make an egg white omelet later this week. We'll see how that goes as I have never frozen egg whites before. I wanted to separate them into 3 bags for freezing but got frustrated and all 6 are in 1 bag. You can ignore the box mix behind the egg. I had to whip up a quick cake...after my hello kitty disaster pops I have decided on a second attempt with Easter Chicks. They may or may bot turn out better than the Hello Kitty pops.

The lovely yolks.....
This is the first time I have ever made pastry cream again. Several blogs I read said that it turned gloppy and lumpy. I managed to temper the eggs just right and didn't get lumps. Thank goodness. I would have been very frustrated. There are a few people that made peanut butter crusts. Next time.....I will confess I cheated on the crust. It's Pillsbury. I love those crusts and they are easy. One less pan for me to wash later.


It seemed like there wasn't enough pastry cream to cover all of the bananas but I don't have a pie pan. This one I got from Taste of Home or some magazine when I signed up years ago as a free gift. It has pretty flowers on the bottom. You may have one as well!

Last night when I was making the pastry cream I asked my hubby if he was going to actually try this. As I have said before he does not like cooked fruit and he is not a fan of custardy anything. He said to just to go ahead and take it to work with me today.

My little Munchkin was all ready for school, backpack and everything when I started to whip the cream for the top of the pie. She really wanted to help so I handed off the mixer while I got the vanilla our of the cabinet.
All I have to say is Whipped Cream covers a multitude of sins. Since the pastry cream didn't seem to cover enough I thought I would pipe the whipped cream on. It looked pretty and covered up all the bare spots. Do you think I got a photo before cutting into it? Nope.


I only cut the one little slice for the four of us to share at home. Munchkin is not a fan of custardy stuff, even though she licked the beater after whipping the cream. Once she tasted the pie though she said "Ooh mommy! The pie was creamy and then banana-y and then cinnamony and then all three together!!!" When offered a second bite though she politely refused. I coerced/begged my husband to have a a small bite because I really wanted him to try it (I made him try brussell sprouts last night too). He was really surprised to find that he really liked it. But, he still wanted me to take it with me.
I have a love/hate relationship with bananas. I know how good they are for you. We always have them in our house. But, they hate me. As soon as I eat a banana I have serious heartburn. I suppose it is from the potassium. That teeny piece is all I am eating of this pie. As much as I liked it, and could have eaten more, even now I am suffering the consequence of that tiny piece!


I dug out my handy dandy cake taker and packed the rest up for work. It is 9:45 and it is almost gone already! :) I am glad that I can bring my leftovers in for others to enjoy. One guy said "Your pie is fabulous!!" I got a "What did you put in that? It is sooo gooood!!" Another said "Now that is what I'm talking about!" So, it is a hit. Yeah!
Again if you want the recipe you can purchase the book Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan or you can check out Sing for your Supper by Amy.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know about peeling bananas from the bottom. That's good info to have. I love the way you decorated you pie and that it was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad your people liked the pie. Looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. saundra4:06 AM

    Oh please post the chick pops! I loved your Hello Kitty post. Those pops look so perfect on Bakerella's site, I wonder how long it took her to perfect the technique? I enjoy reading your TWD posts. Some yummy looking stuff there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quote Whipped Cream can cover a multitude of sins. LOL! You crack me up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your pie looks great! You have very lucky co-workers. :) This pie was a hit in my house too.

    ReplyDelete