{TWD} Chocolate Armagnac Cake

Also know as the Cake that Got Me Fired (Dorie, not me). Let me start off by saying I am not a big drinker. I don't have a liquor cabinet full of fine wine or other beverages. Hubs and I are quite the soda connoisseurs but when it comes to alcohol we are clueless. This recipe called for Armagnac. It's in the title for petes's sake so I thought it wouldn't be difficult to find. Guess what! No one in Tennessee carries Armagnac AND liquor stores are not open on Sunday. I read N.O.Es post about using Grand Mariner and decided that was the way to go. Did I mention I am also not a big drinker because of the cost? Tiny bottle of alcohol, ginormous price tag.

Another main ingredient in this cake is prunes. Yeah...I am not a fan either. But I wanted to try this and see how it would work. I knew Bobby would probably be hesitant so I thought about not telling him. Last time I did that though he was not happy. (It was cheese hot dogs instead of regular).

This is the small bag of "dried prunes". See how little that bottle of Grand Marnier is? I better find some more good recipes to make with it or find someone who drinks it to donate it to.
One thing I was pretty excited about was setting the prunes in the Grand Marnier on fire. I was expecting flames and excitement. All I got was the little blue flames you can hardly see in the picture.

One of the instructions was to take it out of the oven when the knife was still streaky. Since my oven tends to take longer I left it in the entire 32 minutes before checking on it. Dumb move. My knife was completely dry when I checked.
It was late last night when the cake finally came out of the oven so it had to cool overnight. I said to myself "Self! Get up early in the morning to make the glaze for that cake. It looks a little dry and you cracked it flipping it over but the frosting will make it all better!"
Did I get myself up early? Of course not. I pushed snooze twice and was rushing around like a crazy person. I did however manage to snap a couple of photos and eat a slice before leaving the house. I even managed to dig out my cake taker, cut part of the cake for home and brought the rest to work. Bobby said there was an aftertaste. I think he thought it was from the prunes but I think it was from the Grand Marnier. He did say it tasted a little like oranges. Munchkin liked it and Little Man wanted an entire piece. He got 2 bites and then the dog licked his face.

When I got to work I sliced the cake up into bite size pieces and put them out on the counter. So far I have gotten great compliments on it. One girl emailed me and said "Wow! Those are fantastic!"
Thanks to Lyb from And Then I do the Dishes for choosing this weeks recipe. You can find the recipe on her site or you can find it in the book Baking:From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan.
Even though it sounds like I had issues it was not a difficult cake to make. It turned out moist and not overpowering at all. I think I could make this again in a pinch and with so much Grand Marnier left over I just might! :)




Comments

  1. Cake looks awesome! I don't drink or buy alcohol at all, which is why I opted out of this one, but the cakes sure look GOOD! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not an alcohol fan either. I used some nasty whiskey that my husband had in the cupboard for years. But I do admit the cake turned out really good!

    Your hello kitty pops have me laughing - mine would look the same way if I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious! I'm sure you'll find many uses for the Grand Marnier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your prayers for my MIL.
    Your cake looks so good, I wish I could have a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand Marnier is wonderful. you could use it in lots of baking recipes.

    I'm glad the cake was a hit. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grand Marnier is expensive. It was an ingredient in one of my recipes. I think I just used some OJ instead because I did not want to pay that much for the Marnier. Turned out pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL @ soda connoisseurs. My husband says the same thing! He's not a big drinker anymore (too many praying to the porcelain god memories in HS and college) but he ADORES diet coke. You got me curious to try Grand Marnier for this cake now. But maybe I'll switch it up with raspberries b/c me and prunes aren't friends ;)
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't feel bad - I didn't even know what Armagnac was before this week! Your cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a trooper to go out and get all your not-so-favorite ingredients! The cake looks terrific and I hope you find a use for the leftover booze! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on your cake --- i think you'll get a return on your investment on the liquor, as there are a ton of terrific cake recipes that use grand marinier.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well done on your cake !!! I am the same, clueless with alcohol, i used RUM in mine and it turned out great too

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're much more braver than me, I dare not flame the prunes at all! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone! I am currently looking for recipes with Grand Marnier. CB: I may have to try this with raspberries as well. I love me some raspberries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only reason we have any alcohol is because I cleaned out my moms cabinet when she moved. Little of this, little of that.

    Cake looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks wonderful - and I'm so glad it works with Grand Marnier, because that's what I think I'll use when I make it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your cake looks great! I'm glad it went over well with all your tasters. Thanks for baking along with me! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment