{TWD} Pumpkin Muffins

I will start out my saying I am no fan of pumpkin anything. I don't like pumpkin pie but I had never tried pumpkin muffins before. I think it may be a texture thing with the pie though as these were absolutely delicious! I am also not a fan of nuts in anything but a Snickers bar. Again...texture. I think it messes up fudge, cookies and brownies. Why mess with chocolate perfection? I was not terrible excited to make these muffins as I did not think I was going to like them. I was also not sure my kids would like them. I did think Bobby would like them though so I soldiered on and made them.

It think it helped that everyones status updates on Facebook the day I made these had something to do with baking Pumpkin something.

Since I don't like nuts I decided to make half a batch with chocolate chips and the other half with walnuts. Oh yeah, the recipes called for golden raisins too. Since Little Man is the only raisin eater in the house I left them out. I figured he wouldn't miss them and if I put them in I would be stuck with 6 muffins with raisins.









Here are my two batter halves. Little Man surprised me by asking for a beater. He took a few licks and handed it back. The boy is not a batter eater.











This right here kind of made me want to gag. The words congealed and coagulated also make me a little urpy..... the pumpkin is what made me think them. Although, it was just the indentations. The pumpkin smelled good and came out of the can quite nicely. I have half a can left to make another batch of muffins with.







These smelled delicious when they were baking and my Little Guy kept coming in and asking when they would be done. Finally the time came to test them. They were a hit...with everyone in our house! I liked these a lot..well the chocolate chip ones anyway! Little Man ate both kinds without a word of complaint. My daughter is like me with the nuts. She only tried the chocolate chip ones but her comment was "Mommy! These are better than cake!!!"
My husband also liked these a lot. He really likes nuts in his baked goods so i guess I should make some with them a little more often for his sake.
So, this was a good one that will be making its way into our regular fall cookbook!

For the recipe you can check out Sounding my Barbaric Gulp by Kelly or you can purchase the book Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. Thanks Kelly for picking such a delicious recipe!

Comments

  1. how nice to find something that's better than you think it'll be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you sooooooo need to try Ashley Smith's recipe for Pumpkin Choc. Chip muffins.....OMG. They are soooo good. I think you'd like them; the pumpkin flavor is not really strong. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you liked them.

    I added chocolate to mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Better than cake? That's THE highest praise coming from a child! I am glad that your family (and you!) enjoyed these. There is nothing like the smell of pumpkin baking in the fall (although I am with you about the pumpkin pie texture -- blech!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your family liked these. I like the chocolate idea. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad everyone liked these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you liked them. They are definitely better with the chocolate and I think there are better, more moist recipes out there. It's nice when things get eaten up tho. I love your "urpy" word! My husband does not like leftover gravy for that very reason.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you liked them after all the things that you don't like in them. This keeps happening to me at TWD. I guess I like more than I realized. The open can of pumpkin, yep, it sure does look strange. But your muffins look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im glad everyone enjoyed your muffins..I think they look tasty! I had to add those chocolate chips to make them sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel like I wrote this! I am exactly the same way. I am not a pumpkin or raisin fan so I was "this" close to skipping this week but I bit the bullet, made a couple substitutions and what do you know? I liked it! Glad you and family enjoyed this recipe too.
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your pictures, Karen. I keep forgetting to take pictures of the process as well as the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the line, "These are better than cake!" Sounds like a winner. Both look very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad your family loved them! and i agree with you that they might even be better than cake! haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. TWD is so good for taking us somewhere we don't want to go and then we find we love it there! I was that way with the Dimply Cake and now I've made it 7 times! I now think long and hard about skipping an ingredient (or a recipe, but I haven't missed a week yet). I didn't use to like nuts in baked goods, but now I really do - but not in Snickers. Your muffins, both versions, are so pretty and it sounds like another batch is in your future.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am with you on nuts in baked goods. Ruin the taste of everything. Glad these received a warm reception.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those cans are why I roast my own pumpkins! :) Your muffins look delicious, I'll certainly try chocolate chips next time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment