Thursday, August 28, 2008

Mini Panic Attack

Yesterday Bobby and I dropped Munchkin off at Konnect and headed out to peruse the local bookstore with Little Man.
Since we were sitting by the train table I picked up and American Girl Book about things to talk to your parents about. As a mom I always wonder when THOSE questions are going to start coming. You know the ones I am talking about ladies. Of course in the intro of the book it says puberty starts anywhere from 8-12 years old. Yeah, that is where the mini panic attack set in. My little baby Munchkin is 6 Years 1 Months 2 Weeks and 4 Days old! You can see it over there on the side in my little ticker. That only leaves me 1 year 11 months 2 weeks and 3 days to start talking to her about the onset of puberty! WHAT? My little baby that has turned in to a little girl will be vanishing in a lovely young lady before my very eyes!

I had to go grocery shopping after school today. It is a chore I vary rarely experience alone. That is probably good since I end up wandering around in a daze and buying things like saffron or Thai rice noodles, ya know, for just in case. We had a big shopping trip ahead of us and half way through, of course, had to visit the ladies room.
Let me tell ya...sometimes having an early reader is a little trying. All of a sudden Munchkin looked up at me and asked "Why doesn't that machine have any napkins? And what are taamm-pons?" WHAT? I was just reading that dang book yesterday! She is too little to understand about the whole cycle of nature thing!
So, I tried to avoid but I don't want to do that because I want to always be open with her. Instead of totally avoiding I said "those are for girls and women that are older than you." "But, why Mommy?" "Um, well older girls and women need them but that is a little bit old for you. When you are a little bit older we will talk more about it but for now you know they are for girls over the ago of 8!"
The child doesn't miss a thing. Well, except when you ask what she did at school and she says "I don't remember." Yesterday she piped up from the back seat "Mommy,, what are drugs?"
Now, I know she didn't get that at school. The Police at the Night Out Against Crime were handing out Say No to Drugs tattoos and coloring books.

I reminded her about how we had talked about smoking being bad for your health. She remembered that and I just said there are some drugs that are good for you like antibiotics and allergy medicine but only if mommy or daddy give them to her. Bad drugs are even worse than smoking for your health. We talked about how she should never take a friends medicine or even hold it if someone asks.

SERIOUSLY! I was talking to my 6 year old about drugs. I guess it is good that it came from reading her coloring book and not from school. But still.....
I just pray she remembers what we talk about at home before she gets into any kind of sticky situation.
Did I mention she is getting tested for ENCORE this week? She is pretty excited about that.

7 comments:

Debbie said...

She is very precocious. What is Encore?
Love ya,
Mom

Susan said...

Oh wow Karen- things see to come way earlier than when we were kids. I think I might have had a mini panic attack with you as I read this. :)

Montee said...

I remember thinking that I would give "The Talk" to Britnee when she was around 5th or 6th grade. NOT! She started asking too many questions in FIRST GRADE! She was hearing things at school! She did not believe the, "we grow from a seed" thing. So I sat her down, told her about things on her age level. When I was done she just said, "Okay mama." I have always talked to my kids about drugs. I actually tried to really scare them. It worked.

Patrice4 said...

Ahhhhhhh, puberty starts when? :( My oldest daughter is going to be 9 in December. And there have been flashes of attitude lately (nooo, please nooo!)

Funny though, my 4 year old knows what she wants to know about pads and as she calls it "Blood pee" (TMI) I think she's very interested in that because it means her spot as youngest is assured for another month (LOL!, we aren't planning for a #4)

Kids are so precocious, OMG I don't remember wanting to know some of the things I've felt the need to talk with my kids about at 4, 6 and 8.

Karen said...

Thanks ladies! I see I am not alone in all this. I know as long as we keep talking to her that she will understand. Hopefully that will keep her coming to us for answers and not the school playground! :)

Band of Brothers said...

yikes! hopefully you satisfied her curiosity. also having mini-attack for you! i'm glad boys develop much later:)

but when they do...oh boy.

homeschoolmommy said...

Ack! 8?! Princess will be 8 in December. Okay, full blown attack.