Thursday, August 21, 2008

Release of the Magic Blue Smoke

Or this could also be titled "Where the heck is my brain?"

A few days ago I mentioned the delicious looking Snickery Squares that I am just waiting to bake. I bought some caramel topping hoping that would work, as I still can't find Dulce De Leche! This morning I finally got out all of the ingredients and started the process:


The recipe specifically calls for a food processor to "pulse" the ingredients. Since I do not have a food processor I thought "I have a blender with a pulse setting on it I will try that! How much difference can there be?"

My first clue should have been when I plugged the durn thing into 2 different sockets and it didn't work. I plugged the blender into the third outlet and it spun to life making me jump. Of course when it wouldn't blend the dry ingredients together I just got a spatula and started shoving them down in there. When they looked like they were mixed enough I tossed in the 1 stick of chopped up butter. This is where things got sticky (hardy har har). I was vigilant in trying to get those ingredients mixed.
All of a sudden the blender started to make a really bad sound. It also released the magic blue smoke that makes appliances work. You know...the smoke that is accompanied by a really terrible smell that won't go away for hours? After frantically unplugging the blender to make sure it didn't actually catch on fire I took the glass part off and dumped the dough into a bowl. I hadn't gotten to the part where I had to add the egg yolk and figured I would just mix it in by hand.

There was so much dough stuck down in the bottom of the blender I had to take it apart to get it out. Unfortunately, when I finally got it apart I realized the glass was chipped on the bottom. I have no idea how that happened. I didn't hit it on anything, wasn't rough while taking the thing apart... I found the great big piece but thankfully noticed that it didn't quite match up or I may have blissfully continued my tortured process. I looked in the bowl with the dough and saw something shiny. Yep, that's right, an extra tiny piece of glass. I had to throw out all of the dough.

Little Man went to the store with me this morning and had picked out a mint brownie mix. So, instead of my gourmet Snickery Squares I decided to make the box of brownies. While it was baking Little Man was playing the Wii and kept asking me to help him, I was trying to start a blog post and for some reason I walked in the kitchen half way through baking and turned off the oven.
When the timer went off and I opened the oven door I was so confused. I knew they weren't supposed to look like pudding. It took me a few minutes to figure out what I had done. Finally, after turning the oven back on the delicious smell of brownies filled the house...instead of the Magic Blue Smoke smell.

I just could not figure out where my brain was today. Oh, well. After I buy a new blender, and maybe a food processor I will try the Snickery Squares again. Maybe by then I will find someplace that carries Dulce De Leche.

2 comments:

  1. If you do find out where brains go when they leave us, could you send mine back? I've been missing it lately...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dulce de leche? Hm. I really want to make these snickery squares too, but might be too lazy to track down dulce de leche. Maybe a spanish store has it??

    And good luck with selling your house. It's so pretty, I'm sure someone will buy it!

    ReplyDelete