Wednesday, February 27, 2008

What I Did on My Snow Day


Our lovely day started at 5:47 am with a call from metro saying school was closed for inclement weather! I was really excited for the call except that the ring was the same one on my phone as my alarm so I thought it was time to get up. I didn't answer it because I thought it was my alarm but when I looked at the time I realized what had happened.

Both kids were chomping at the bit to get out in the snow but were sweet and let me and Bobby sleep until almost 9. Yup, good parents here. We sent them downstairs to turn on the Disney channel.

When we got downstairs Munchkin was already dressed with 4 pairs of socks, jeans, a long sleeve shirt, her coat, gloves and hat*. We got Little Man dressed with a pair of tights under his clothes (what can I say we weren't totally prepared for snow this year) extra socks, extra sweatshirt, coat, hat and non matching mittens. I was afraid he would look like the little kid from "A Christmas Story" but it wasn't that bad.
We took the dog with us, which is always my favorite thing to do, and headed to the middle school where we knew we could sled. Little Man went down the hill with me on this intertube thing that we borrowed from someone that was already there. Our sled is a purple disc we bought at Dollar General 3 years ago. It works... Little Man was not a fan of going down the hill but by the time we got to the bottom he was laughing.
Munchkin has always been my little daredevil and she was all about sledding down the hill. Some spots were already melted so it was kind of hard to go down but she found a way. The intertube worked way better than our little disc. On this trip down she almost took out a little kid that walked in front of her!

Bobby and Little Man went down on the disc and ended up doing a flip. I got it on video! :) Neither one got hurt but Little Man was not happy.
Here is our little snow man. The kids did a great job helping daddy build it. Bobby is quite the snowman builder. I know I should try harder but my first attempt fell quite short of this sturdy little guy. Little Man added a stick to an interesting place. As he is a boy I am sure you can guess what he added. He was quite proud of himself....I'll let you use your imagination. :)


Munchkin has been dying to see The Soccer Star for awhile now so when she found out we were going to have lunch together she could hardly contain herself. Little Man and The Big Kahuna get along really well too so we knew we would have a good lunch. All four of them traded in their toys at Chickfila for ice cream. Silly Kids, don't they know it is 30 degrees outside?

So, now we are home. I am trying to go through all of our office paperwork and shred everything we don't need. The Soccer Star came home with us so the kids are upstairs playing school and Pollys.

All in all a wonderful snow day!*People here in the south call Beanies Toboggans. Weird, I know. The first time I heard that I could not figure out why someone needed a sled because their head was cold.

4 comments:

Princess Kacey said...

seriously toboggans? Beanies? I always thought they were stocking caps!
stocking cap
n.
A close-fitting knitted cap that resembles a stocking and often has a long tapering tail with a tassel attached.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by

hmm. gotta love the english language!:)

K

Princess Kacey said...

well, just to be fair...

Main Entry:
1to·bog·gan
Pronunciation:
\tə-ˈbä-gən\
Function:
noun

1: a long flat-bottomed light sled made usually of thin boards curved up at one end with usually low handrails at the sides 2: a downward course or a sharp decline 3.chiefly Southern & Midland ie:stocking cap

Beanie:

Main Entry:
bean·ie Listen to the pronunciation of beanie
Pronunciation:
\ˈbē-nē\
Function:
noun


: a small round tight-fitting skullcap


OK, everybody wins!

Beth said...

So cute! We were at chickfila today too!!

Love you!
B

Drum Beats Man said...

Look like great fun, I have been trying to get my kids into sports they just play xbox or the drums all day.