My child is a packrat

I suppose she comes by it honestly, I mean Bobby and I both have a hard time letting go of "stuff". But, my goodness, Munchkin does not want to let go of anything...not a scrap of paper, not the giant snowman I pulled out of the attic with its face chewed off, not clothes she has outgrown and most recently she wanted to keep the "sprinkle cheese" container she emptied at dinner. I understand wanting to keep some things that have sentimental value but come on! A cheese container?
We also are swimming in a sea of paper that keeps coming home from school. I have resorted to a shoe box until the end of the semester and then I will sort what we will keep. Don't get me wrong I am so glad to see what she is doing at school so I am glad for the paper but I don't know how to contain it! If you have school age kids how do you contain the paper clutter? And how do you get your kid to let go of the stuff she really does not need to keep?

Comments

  1. It is crazy just how much they bring home from school!! I think you are doing a smart thing by keeping it in a box and sorting through it at the end of the year. That's what I do with the boys' stuff. And I sort through it by myself at the end of the year :) And be sure to put anything you throw away REALLY far down in the trash or just to be safe take it out after you trash the stuff you're not keeping-- its not pretty if they see something they made in the trash :) But you just can't keep it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since Gracie started school she too comes home with at least 2 coloring sheets each day. I decided when she started that I would get folders for each of the grandparents and each day when I go through her folder I ask her who she wants to give each paper to. Then we put it in the folder and the next time we see them we take them their folder. I know your relatives are out of town but you could do something similar and every other month or so mail them the contents. It's a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas ladies! :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE Sarah's idea!! Jim's parents live in NC and would love to get things like that from both my little ones. Thanks for sharing that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I throw her "junk" away when she's not looking - and make sure it's really far down in the bag! Love the folder idea to "share" with the grandparents.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment