Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Special Moms

A few months ago I ran into a group of ladies that are moms of special needs children. Last night I got to go hang out with them again at someones house. It was a time to talk, have dinner and be with other moms that are going through the same things. We are the advocates for our children in the school system, for getting them therapy, for dealing with government programs. There is a website now, so if you have a child with special needs come visit and come be part of the group!

I loved hanging out with all of these women. There was a nagging thought at the back of my mind though that they wouldn't want me to be there. Little Man just had his IEP and did not qualify for services. It kind of made me feel like he was is more of a typical kid. I talked with one of the ladies about that and she made me feel much better. I have gone through the testing, the finding out a diagnosis, the therapies for 2 years, now an IEP. We don't know what the future holds, hopefully he will always be a typical kid but if he is not I have a support system of ladies who completely understand.

Next month we are going to the Cheesecake Factory so if you have a special needs child it would be a great time to check out the moms group!

No comments:

Post a Comment