Southern Womens Show

If you are a snob like me from California the thought of a Southern Women's Show sounds...well...kinda froufy. It conjures images of little girls with giant bows on their heads, extremely large hair, and gowns from Gone with the Wind. When I mentioned it to Munchkin she was so excited. I think it was the free samples that got her interested. Yes, we are that family that traipses through Sam's Club looking for the free samples after church on Sunday. Admit it! You do it too!
After parking downtown and finding our way to the Nashville Convention Center I paid my $8 to enter the convention. We were overwhelmed to say the least. Little Man was in his stroller, which was great because he gets kind of nervous in big crowds. Our first stop was the Crocs booth. I picked up a pair of navy blue Crocs for me and hot pink Mary Jane Crocs for Munchkin. She had been eying them for awhile so it was an opportune time to get them. They also had mini donuts coated in Cinnamon Sugar. Since it was lunch time the three of us shared a small bag of them.
One of the vendors was called Eye Kandy. The little sign said $2 for application or free with purchase. Well, one look at Munchkin and the girl asked if they could put it on her. They gave her a little red heart and some white sparkles on her cheeks. She got comments on it the rest of the day. She also spun the prize wheel at a modeling booth and won some gold Mardi Gras beads.
There were tons of booths for travel, ring cleaning, losing 20 pounds in 5 days, and ummm girly parties (if you know what I mean). There were booths for scrapbooking, rhinestone cowboy hats, tons of jewelry, a couple of embroidery companies and even 1 astrologer. Yeah, we skipped that one.
One of Munchkins very favorite things was that she "got to dance with a ma-yun!(man, yes she sounds country)" There was a dance company giving lessons and the man (he was about 19) started spinning her around in the aisle while I filled out a form to win a free dance lesson. He then spun her out onto the dance floor and even dipped her at the end of the song. It was the sweetest thing. She was just thrilled when she got done dancing. After that I am pretty sure I saw Little Mans Kindermusik teacher MCing the HCA Broadway Hits show. We stayed and watched 3 songs until we realized we need to keep moving if we wanted to see everything.
Munchkin spotted a big colorful prize wheel at the Tennessean booth and we each got to spin. Munchkin won a little coin purse and I won a comic strip umbrella. That came in handy since it was raining when we left the convention center.
Feeling lucky I played Plinko at the Curves booth. You could win a free week, 2 free weeks, a free month or a small gift. I won a month free to Curves! There is one fairly close so that will be fun to try out. After all that we stood in a line that stretched all the way around one end of a row and halfway down the other side to get free ice cream. We made it to the Purity Frozen Yogurt and tried that out instead of waiting until we got all the way around. The kids didn't see any difference between that and regular ice cream and ate every bite. While in that line we saw a little animal flying up in the air and had to check it out. The guy at the booth was shooting the little flying monkeys 50 feet in the air. So, we of course had to have 2 of those. I for some reason didn't anticipate exactly how annoying they would be. They didn't sound nearly as loud and obnoxious as they are when we were in the convention center.
The very last thing we did was go back to the nail polish booth. Munchkin wanted to have a butterfly put on her thumbnail so, since she had been so good the entire time we went back and did that. I got suckered into buying that kit but it has come in handy tonight since I am watching a friends kiddos.
oh yeah, a plumbing company also gave each of the kids a mini plunger. They were immediately attached to their chins which garnered them even more attention for the other convention goers.
We had a fantastic day. I know it would be a lot of fun to go to with a girlfriend and leave the kids with a sitter but I had so much fun with both kids today. They both had great attitudes, followed directions, and asked before taking candy off of any of the tables. I think I could see myself taking Munchkin in future years for a mother/daughter date. I did run into a couple of ladies from church that seemed shocked that I would bring my kiddos with me. I think more that I wasn't taking a break for me to be there.
As far as the snob from California, we all have our stereotypes and the big haired, catty, plantation one was broken when we moved here. This was a great convention to go to and will I probably go again in the future.

Comments

  1. It sounds like a great time was had by all. It also sounds like something your mother would love to do with you.
    Love ya
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:30 PM

    I'm in for next year. Wish I could have joined you! :)Ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim T7:58 PM

    Sounds like so much fun for you AND the kids! I've never been but think it would be really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:15 PM

    I went Saturday with my mom and 2 of her friends, the only child I took was Natalie. We had alot of fun, and I got some hematite jewelry that is supposed to help with headaches, sinuses, blood pressure, etc....I promise as soon as I put it on my headache that I had been dealing with all day went away and my sinuses cleared(I was having trouble breathing before).
    I had never been, but now I think I will go every year. Katy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment