Saturday, March 03, 2007

Just say NO!

This will probably be a little bit of a whiny post but maybe not. I go to a huge church. I LOVE my church. It is now considered a mega church. When we started going there 5 1/2 years ago there were about 800 members and it is now up to 4000. That is wonderful! People are in church and it is good but that means that more people need to help out to keep it running. I think last year the median age was 32. Many many many of the families have children that are in the nursery, preschool, or school age. Not to mention our ginormous Jr high/high school group. We hear all the time that 20% of the people do 80% of the work at the church and I can believe it. Those people that are volunteering are probably working in at least 2 other ministry areas. Does this make a person a better Christian? Nope! It just makes them feel burned out and restless and used. This is why people need to be able to say no and not feel guilty about it. Guilt is not from God!

At church I am a table leader for MOPS, do music for 3 and 4 year olds once a month, teach Munchkins class Wednesday nights, and make phone calls for the new women's shepherding ministry. Do I write this all out to say "Hey look at me and all of the ministry I am doing!" No. Right now I am quite content in what I am doing for church. I like these rolls and feel like I can do a good job in them. But also to say, I guess, if I get called to work in the nursery on Sunday morning I probably won't say yes. I know there is a need but I have to get fed sometime too.

I have heard people say don't be so over committed outside of church that you can't serve at church. How about the people that are so over committed at church they can't serve the community. They can't reach people for Christ because they don't know anyone who is not a Christian. They can't take the time to serve at a soup kitchen, go to a nursing home, or have a playgroup outside of church because they have to be there every time the doors are open.

I guess all I am saying is if you are uncomfortable in all of your commitments get out of some of them, say no and don't feel guilty about it. If you are not serving anywhere it is good to be serving somewhere that God wants you not people. Listen to what God wants you to do and serve there be that at church, Habitat for Humanity, or The Crisis Pregnancy Center to name a few.

I know as a mom that it is really difficult to commit to things sometimes. But there may be things we can do with our kids to show them ministry as well. What ministry looks like. I know I want my kids to value helping others and showing Jesus to others. That means I need to get on the ball with ministry opportunities for them. Right now that is being kind to others on the playground, including ALL others not matter race, color or creed.

This is really rambly. My main point is serve where you are called wherever that may be, say no to overcommitment and don't feel guilty about it.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:55 PM

    Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen sister. We are commanded to go and make disciples, and how will they believe if they've never heard and how will they hear if we don't tell them... I shared my testimony with someone at work this morning and told him he needed to start going to church. His wife had been unfaithful and he doesn't know what to do to keep his family together. All this to say...you have a lot to offer, choose your ministry field with care and with the Lord's guidance and remember...our little ones are our biggest and most important ministry right now, our own little disciples:)

    Love,
    Kacey

    ReplyDelete