Tuesday, March 20, 2007

100 Things about me

Our friends over at Addisonrd have several posts on this. In the spirit of "Me too! Me too!" here are 100 things about me.

1. For my 16th birthday I got a Cabriolet Convertible. It was an inch and a half long.

2. I have lived in at least 21 different houses/apartments. This includes 6 different places in college (2 dorms freshman year), an off campus apartment sophomore year, The Mods (F7) Junior year, and 2 different apartments in Canyon Gardens.

3. I lived in Scotland for 2 years when I was little.

4. I think one of the most amazing places I have ever been was standing on the diving board on Half Dome in Yosemite. It was the culmination of a summer of cleaning hotel rooms, doing church services in the campgrounds on Sundays and hiking on my days off.

5. A very close second to Half Dome was Clouds Rest. There were not nearly as many people and an amazing view.

6. I have played the flute since I was in 5th grade. I picked it up quickly because I had already learned how to read music taking piano lessons. I was first chair my junior and senior year of high school.

7. I was second to last chair my freshman year of college.

8. Some of my favorite TV shows are or have been: Dawsons Creek, The Brady Bunch, Roswell, Everwood, Heroes, CSI Miami, Friends, ER, Greys Anatomy and Desperate Housewives. I probably could get into the new one that is on after Greys Anatomy but I am not sure it is worth the effort.

9. If you come over to my house on any given day the only room that will probably be clean is the kitchen. With all the running around we do the kitchen is lucky to be the clean room.

10. My bowling team, The Pink Panthers, was 10th in the nation. I was 10 years old. I am now a pro on Wii sports bowling.

11. I love to read when I have the time. Some of my favorite books in recent years have been The Poisonwood Bible, A Prayer for Own Meany, and anything by Steven King.

12. I have the best set in-laws in the land. The very first time I met them we were on a trip on the coast of Oregon. I threw up in front of them on a whale watching trip. I figured once they had seen me spew there was nothing I could be embarrased about again.

13. I like chocolate. A Lot.

14. I think we should hang onto the classic hymns so our children don't lose them. I like contemporary worship I just miss those old songs. I am only 32.

15. My husband thinks I am crazy because I like to make lists with things like "brush teeth" and "eat breakfast" along with "go to the bank" just so I can cross them off. I like this becasue even if I don't get any thing accomplished for the day I at least have a couple of things crossed off my list.

16. I am easily enterained. Unless a movie just really sucks I will probably give it a decent review. So, if you are ultra critical or super conservative I may not be the best person to ask.

17. Jello, pudding and cottage cheese make me gag. I know it is a texture thing. The worst is when there is a dish that looks like a good dessert and you bite into it and it is full of cottage cheese. Yuck!

18. Scrapbooking is a passion of mine. I love preserving our memories for the years to come so my kids and theirs will be able to look back at them and laugh.

19. I am a frustrated perfectionist. I want things to be perfect (especially in my scrapbooks) but I don't want to take the time to make them that way. I have way to many pictures to scrap to spend 3 hours on a page like some people do. Plus, I would rather be hanging out with my kiddos than cleaning my house. They are only thise little once right?

20. I used to be really extroverted but have become more introverted as the years have progressed.

21. In California I would get butterflies in my stomach when I would hear the lyric "when summers beginning to give up her fight" by the Indigo Girls. There was a moment every fall that I could feel that lyric.

22. The best surprise of my life was when Bobby proposed to me. I was really frustrated the night before on the phone. I was really missing him and he didn't sould like he missed me that much. I didn't know I would be seeing him the next day. He drove down to Vacaville from Oregon with his mom the day after Christmas, handed out presents to everyone and proposed that morning.

23. Two of my favorite movies are Jerry Maguire and One Fine Day. Bobby and I went to see both of those the day we got engaged.

24. I am who radio sells music too. I don't go out of my way to find new artists and like hearing the same songs over and over again...until I am sick of them. I am always impressed when people "find" a new artist. I don't have the time or the energy to search the tubes.

25. I buy my music (when I actually buy CDs) from Target or Walmart. I saw Joss Stone on Leno last night and thought I would dig her new album. I do.

26. I respect and love people that do foreign mission work but my heart is with the people in my community that need Jesus.

27. The longest mission trip I went on was a week to San Francisco for "Bridges". This was right before I became a Student Orientation Leader my junior year of college. It was kind of strange because I went to the orthodontist in San Fran but saw an entirely different side of the city. This is why my heart is with the people in need here in the states.

28. I am middle of the road when it comes to politics.

29. If I had the time, money, and equipment I would be a professional photographer.

30. I really don't like dogs. This stems from being bitten by a dog while delivering Girl Scout cookies and then being chased by a German Shepherd the next week on my bike.

31. We have a one year old German Shepherd named Kelsey.

32. I can't stand doing fluffy Bible Studies. I am by no means the grammar police, unlike my husband, but I don't like major typos. I can't understand why I can read a 500 page novel and find maybe 1 typo but in a 50 page Bible Study there are multiple. In one particular study the entire section leads you to believe the answer is Jesus while in fact the entire passage referenced is talking about John the Baptist.

33. I think most editors should be required to manually edit manuscripts. Spell Check and Grammar Check only do so much. (All of you editors out there, please don't bother editing this post. I know it is full of mistakes).

34. I am a survivor of childhood sexual abuse.

35. My mom is my hero. As soon as she found out what was happening she took every step to make sure I was safe. She also got me into therapy as quickly as possible.

36. It is by the Grace of God (and a mother who would have killed me!) that I never got into anything that would truly hurt me.

37. I have seriously thought about writing a book about my experience but I don't want it to be a trashy tell all novel. I also don't want it relegated to the Christian self-help section of the Christian book store. If I write it I want it to be accessible to people to let them know they are not alone.

38. 2 people I have shared my experience with came to me to share their story. I was the first person that ever knew what happened to them and I was able to help they find resources to help them.

39. I will probably go back to therapy at some point.

40. I am fiercely protective of my children. I am even having a difficult time thinking about school for them but I am not sure I am cut out to home school.

41. My sister and I have a better relationship now that we have kids than we did when we were kids. I once threw a box of saran wrap at her and sliced her wrist open. I convinced her to ride her bike with me to our moms work and tell her she had fallen off her bike because she would be in trouble too for fighting. She finally told on me several years later when it was to late.

42. I have an awesome step-dad and too wacky step sisters. I usually refer to them as my sisters and dad.

43. My sister, my mom and I all got married within a year and a half of each other.

44. When I was about 12 I pushed my bike to the top of a really steep hill. There was a big Greek Orthodox church up there. I careened down the hill on my bike and popped the front intertube at the bottom of the hill. I never did that again.

45. I have thought about sky diving but I am not sure I can bring my self to do it.

46. I did bungee jump though in Southern CA. It was a team building exercise with the JR High Staff at the church Bobby and I went to. I have a copy of it on my conducting tape.

47. I got my BA in Music Education from APU. There is a reason I am not a conductor.

48. I went on to get my Masters in Education as a First Generation College Student I think partially because I wanted to prove I could do it and fall into the resilient category of people.

49. I now have a lot of loans.

50. I do not have a problem with people who drink or alcohol in general.

51. I can count on both hands the amount of times I have ever had an alcoholic beverage.

52. I have never been drunk.

53. Red wine gives me a migraine within minutes of the first sip.

54. My parents set a good example for us regarding alcohol. There was usually a bottle of wine in the fridge but it lasted a long time. I never saw my parents drunk.

55. I think touring winery's is a fun activity even for those of us that don't drink wine. There is grape juice at the end of the tour for the kids and you get to see how everything is done.

56. When I say I am a Christian I am NOT saying "hey look at me! I am perfect and have it all together. I get to go to heaven and you don't!"

57. When I say I am a Christian I AM saying "I am broken, I need Jesus, I want to live like Jesus and show Him to you. My prayer is that you can see Him through me! I want to know you where you are so we can live this life together."

58. I have struggled with my weight since I was in 4th grade and had nothing to struggle with except blooming early and jealous girls who wouldn't bloom until much later/ever.

59. I smoked my first and only cigarette in 7th grade after stealing a pack of my fathers cigarettes. He never missed them because he went through them so fast. I smoked 1 then gave the rest of the pack away. That girl is still a smoker and I feel horrible because I helped her along that path. (She was already smoking at that point)

60. Smoking in my opinion is one of the most horrible thing you can do yourself and others.

61. I can't stand it when people hold their cigarettes out the car window and their second hand smoke blows into my vents.

62. I love to hike but don't get to do it often because Bobby is not a fan. He is the one who mentioned adding this one.

63. I like to letterbox on occasion.

64. I don't like to hear women slamming their husbands at social gatherings or one on one. It shows an issue with their character.

65. I love to go to Girls Nights but don't ever say much. I am never sure I will be heard or taken seriously. I tend to listen until I really have something to say.

66. I like to cook.

67. I am a better baker/dessert maker than cook.

68. I have only set off the smoke alarm in our house once in 6 years. It was while making fish sticks.

69. I really like to make new dishes when we have company. That is dangerous but usually works out OK.

70. I grew up believing that losing your virginity before marriage was just about the biggest sin any child could commit. In order of severity, it was above assault and battery, just below murder, tied with smoking. (This is copied from another persons list)

71. The best I have ever felt about my body was when I was pregnant with each of our children.

72. I wish I was a foodie that loved to try new foods. It is hard for me to really get into the experience if it includes mushrooms, olives or raw tomatoes.

73. Don't ask about the SAT. It was not good. I don't do math.

74. I missed the MSAT test because I was out for a walk with one of my old roommates. For some reason I thought it was the next day when I realized that most tests are not held on Sundays.

75. I became a music major because my Liberal Studies advisor did not help me at all.

76. I dropped out of Theory 1 because Bobby distracted me and I was going to fail it. I audited it the next year.

77. I have the sweetest hubby in the world. Even if he did make me fail Theory.

78. I have sold Pampered Chef for the last 2 years. I was fun for awhile but I think I am done. I think Corey said going to one of those parties is like getting kicked in the crotch. Try selling it.

79. I am way too worried about what people think of me.

80. When I have had a Crisis of Belief in my life it wasn't about my faith. That is not something I question, just the circumstances surrounding it.

81. Since about number 50 I have been thinking "what else can I put".

82. One of the highlights of my day is getting the mail. Especially if there is money or a personal note in there.

83. I love blueberries. I wish they weren't $5 for 1/4 of a cup.

84. One of things I miss about California is the access to fresh produce. It is just not as good here as it is in CA.

85. My favorite fast food place is In-N-Out.

86. In order of preference: Mountains, Ocean, Lake, Desert

87. Even though I like chocolate a lot my favorite dessert is Creme Brulee. That might seem weird considering #17.

88. I only like being outside in the fall and the spring. The summer is too hot and humid here and the winter too cold.

89. If we had a lot of snow it would make being outside tolerable. Without snow it is just cold.

90. I have to get a root canal next Monday.

91. I have horrible teeth. Even though I brush at least twice a day a floss I still have problems with my teeth. It's hereditary.

92. I have friends spread out across the country.

93. I really need clean sweep to come to my house and help me get rid of our clutter.

94. Once while I was roller blading in Yosemite a car was coming that couldn't see me. I really didn't know how to stop so this man, that was a round as he was tall, told me to go toward him and he would stop me. I bounced off the guy and did a flip in the rocks on the side of the road. I am sure it looked really funny.

95. I have worked at 3 different Burger Kings. The first one when I was 14 and got my work permit. The third was in Azusa. I was the only white girl there and the guy training me only spoke Spanish. For our Christmas party we went salsa dancing at Acapulco's.

96. I got to go on Walk-About right before my senior year in college when I was going to be an RA in Canyon Gardens. Two of my favorite memories from that trip were sliding down a natural waterslide where I got a bloody nose from the shock of the cold water and my 2 days of fasting and prayer with me and God.

97. I like to think I can sing pretty well. Unfortunately I would probably be in the scary auditions for American Idol.

98. I used to think that you could be friends with anyone if you tried hard enough. I was proven wrong. If the other person is not willing to try it just won't work.

99. Bobby and our two kiddos are my heart.

100. The coolest part about being a rock stars wife is all of the people I have gotten to meet. Amy Grant, Michael W Smith, Pat Boone....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I too, think we could be friends.

Nice to meet you.:)

Beth

Ben and Stephani said...

Impressive...I don't think that there is any way that I could think of 100 things to say about me. How long did that take you and what were your children doing during that time? :)

Bobby said...

Er.... you were married to a rock star? We need to talk.

:P

Debbie said...

Thanks for letting me be your hero and the kind things you said about your stepdad.
We love you!

Kimberly Thomas said...

Wow! That's a lot! What a cool idea - I don't know if I can think of enough things to try it myself. But thanks for sharing - I know you a little better now. And I'm reminded at how MUCH we have in common!

Jennifer Kristen (Bopp) Cady said...

Karen,
You amaze me! 100 things. You have a wonderful life and great experiences and you are so diverse. It is good to know a little more about the real you!!:)