Monday, February 19, 2007

Today's Adventure

Have you ever had one of those days where you should just know you are in for it? It really wasn't that bad at all but it has been one of those days. The first clue was when I drove through the bank to deposit a check and they were closed due to Presidents Day. "Not a problem" I thought since I made sure to leave some money in our account after paying bills this morning.
We were headed downtown to have a hearing evaluation done on Little Man. It is part of the process for his IEP. We got almost downtown and I realized we needed gas...right now! So of course it was $.10 more per gallon at the station downtown than it was by our house. That's OK, we still have money in the account.
We got to Vandy Hospital with plenty of time to spare. We actually got up to the Hearing Center about 20 minutes early. I sat down to fill out the paperwork while the kiddos went to go wait in the playroom. All of a sudden there is bloody murder screaming and crying coming from that direction. There were quite a few people of advanced age in the room and I am sure each and everyone of them could probably hear after this scene. Little Man slammed Munchkins fingers in the door of the playroom. I have never heard Munchkin scream like she did this morning. The people at the Bill Wilkerson Center were FANTASTIC! They called the peds department to let them know we were coming and even sent a lady with us to catch a shuttle over to the Children's Peds walk in clinic. We ended up waiting quite awhile and by the time we were seen Munchkin was feeling much better. They taped 2 of her fingers together, gave her some Motrin, and told us to contact her doctor if it gets worse. It looked horrible and I really thought her fingers were broken. I guess they are just very badly bruised.

After all that it was around 12:30 pm. All three of us were hungry but every place to eat in the hospital was packed. I ran into a gift shop and got packaged donuts for each of the kids to eat once we got back over to Bill Wilkerson. We walked back because I didn't want to stand and wait for the shuttle..and it really wasn't all that far. An added bonus was that it is much nicer today than it has been so it was nice to walk outside for a little while.

Everyone at Bill Wilkerson fawned all over Munchkin and her fingers. They were so nice to us and worked us back in. I think we waited about 15 minutes before they called us back for Little Mans hearing evaluation. He passed with flying colors. Woo hoo!! :) Now we go back tomorrow for his Speech Evaluation. Hopefully tomorrow will go much more smoothly and we won't end up back in the doctors office. Little Man fell asleep before we were even out of the parking structure and is still asleep as I type this. Sweet kids. They were angels today. There are some days when I want to pull my hair out taking them places but this was not one of them. Even with smashed fingers and not eating and taking a super late nap they were polite and played well together. I love it when they are sweet to each other. Now I think I am going to go try and scrap. We'll see how that goes...

No comments: