Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Dish soap

Did you know that Dawn dish soap takes greasy oily stains out of clothes? I was out of Dawn, elbow macaroni and cheddar cheese so I thought I would trek over to the Piggly Wiggly. Now for those of you that have know us for awhile we can NEVER find anything we need at the Pig. We used to joke you could get pig brains but no rice cakes, or 18 different types of chewing tobacco but no pantyhose. I figured I was pretty safe with the items I needed so off we went.

The carts, or buggies for y'all in the south, have enough room for a child to ride on the bottom but the top is kind of shallow. I let Munchkin ride on the bottom and stuck Little Man in the top. We got around to the dish soap aisle and I got the Dawn. Not thinking anything about how Little Man likes to bang stuff I stuck it in the cart near him. When I got around to the pasta aisle I noticed Little Man bang something, then Munchkin jumped off the bottom of the cart and started screaming. He had gotten the dish soap open and was pouring it on his sisters' head. She was wearing a jacket with a hood on as she didn't want to get rained on and hadn't taken the hood off yet. Unfortunately that did not stop the soap from running into her eyes and getting in the front of her hair. So, now I have one child standing in the aisle screaming bloody murder, the other one still in the cart crying because he doesn't know why his sister is crying and because I have yanked the bottle of dish soap away from him, and a huge mess of slippery dish soap under the cart.

I got to the front of the store with my screaming children and found out that the Pig does have a bathroom all the way at the back of the store. I made my way back to the bathroom and locked the door. As I am trying to explain to munchkin what I was trying to do she was still screaming her head off. I finally was able to pick her up and run her head under warm water to rinse all of the soap out of her hair. She still had soap in her eyes. Let me tell ya...reasoning with a 4 year old is not my happy place. You just get that point where you have to do what you need to do and let them understand later that you are doing it to help them. In this case putting water in her eyes to get the soap out so they wouldn't hurt anymore.

I am sitting here trying to think if I should get all spiritual or not. But I think this situation can relate to some of the things I have gone through. We as imperfect human being go through things and don't understand why. They hurt for awhile but if we follow what God wants for us it doesn't have to hurt as bad. When we follow in obedience what God wants us to do we can live our lives better. I never feel eloquent when talking about God but I know that He loves me and wants what is best for me.

Anyway, we got the soap out, finished our shopping, and got home in one (soggy) piece. Did I mention that taking my kiddos to the store is one of my all time favorite pastimes?

2 comments:

  1. I know this wasn't funny to you (at least not yet...give it a couple of days) but I needed a good laugh for the day. I know my time is coming so yes feel free to tell me the same when it does
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kimberly Thomas7:46 PM

    Karen, this post CRACKED me up! And I totally know about "the Pig" - we had one in my little town growing up. That's a story your gonna always remember - I hope you scrapbooked it somewhere!

    ReplyDelete