Ministry???

I just got home from the Volunteer Revolution at my church. We were all fed a steak or chicken dinner and pumped up to volunteer for every ministry under the sun. I love my church family and my pastor dearly but I had a hard time with a couple of things that were said tonight.

One point was that we shouldn't get so committed outside the church that we can't serve at the church. I agree that we should in some capacity be helping out or serving at the church. I personally have a playgroup with friends that are not Christians. If I am so overcommitted to everything at church I have no time for them that are the ones that need Christ.

The second point was (this is a slight exaggeration) that you should never get burned out because you know where your source of strength comes from. So you should work in preschool, be a greeter, make phone calls, etc...Along with taking care of your family and keeping a clean house and if you work outside the home keeping that together too.

The third thing that made me sad was out of all the ministries that were available there were maybe 3 that reached out to our community. Everything else was internal. Obviously you need those ministries in a megachurch to make it run but shouldn't their be a bigger focus on those that need Christ and the things we can do to reach them?
I guess this is really just a vent. I love my church but I am not sure I am cut out for the megachurch....

Comments

  1. you're totally emergent, you just don't know it yet ...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment